EUDN has started a number of concrete activities:
- Activity aiming at creating exchange of ideas between
academics and researchers working on development issues, on the one
hand, and policy makers, on the other hand with a view to increasing
the impact of the research community on policy making and development
cooperation in Europe.
- Annual AfD-EUDN Conference, in cooperation with the 'Agence Française de Developpement' (AfD)
- Activities aiming at reinforcing links between academics
and researchers working on development issues in Europe with a view to
strengthening European research capacity in the field of development
studies, in general, and of development economics, in particular.
- Activities aiming at training young reseachers in
development economics through PhD school or workshop, and exchanges of
PhD students and Post-Docs among European Institutions and between
European and developping countries institutions.
On this occasion, around 700 academics and development practitioners from both the North and the South gather to exchange views. The conference is aimed at promoting a constructive dialogue between academic research and operational expertise in order to explore lessons and perspectives for ODA policies.
- 1st AfD / EUDN Conference on November 13th, 2003 in Paris - "Poverty, Inequalities and Growth: What's at Stake for Development Aid?" (program of the day). Participants : François Bourguignon (World Bank), Stefan Dercon (Oxford University), Orazio Attanasion (University College of London), Jean-Philippe Platteau (University of Namur).
- 2nd AfD / EUDN Conference on November 25th, 2004 in Paris - "The Case for Aid: Why Should Taxpayers Fund Aid Programs?" (program of the day). Participants : Clive Bell (University of Heidelberg), Esther Duflo (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), Jan Willem Gunning (Free University of Amsterdam), Ravi Kanbur (Cornell University).
- 3rd AfD / EUDN Conference on December 14th, 2005 in Paris - "Modes of Financing Development" (program of the day). Participants : Arne Bigsten (Göteborg University), Daniel Cohen (Ecole Normale Supérieure), William Easterly (New York University), Jakob Svensson (Stockholm University).
- 4th AfD / EUDN Conference on November 8th, 2006 in Paris - "Migration and Development: Mutual Benefits?" (program available in French or in English). Participants : Frédéric Docquier (Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve), Riccardo Faini (Universita di Roma Tor Vergata), Maurice Schiff (World Bank), Jeffry Dayton-Johnson (OCDE).
- 5th AfD / EUDN Conference on December 5th, 2007 in Paris - "Does Culture Matter for Development?" (papers and the program in English are downloadable)
- 6th Afd / EUDN conference on November 12th, 2008 in Paris - "Population and natural resources: managing pressure". (program)
- 7th AfD / EUDN Conference on December 9th, 2009 in Paris- "Fragmentation in a globalised world" (program - FRENCH or ENGLISH)
- 8th AfD/EUDN Conference on December 1st, 2010 in Paris - "Measure for Measure: How well do we Measure Development?" (program)
- 9th AfD/EUDN Conference on March 26t, 2012 in Paris - "Evaluation and its discontents: do we learn from experience in development?" (program)
This is conceived as a restricted meeting in the cause of which members of EUDN present their recent papers to each other.
- 1st Scientific Conference on November 14th and 15th, 2003 in Paris - "Economic Growth, Poverty Reduction, and Institutions" (program). Participants : Humberto Lopez (World Bank), Jean-Claude Berthélemy (University of Paris), Pramila Krishnan (University of Cambridge), Wilson Perez (Cornell University), Jean-Philippe Platteau (University of Namur), Jakob Svensson (IIES, Stockholm University / Development Research Group, World Bank), Hao Chen (Université d’Auvergne), Marcel Fafchamps (University of Oxford), Marie Godquin (University of Paris), Stefanie Engel (Center for Development Research (ZEF), Bonn), Karen Macours (Johns Hopkins University), Jean-Louis Arcand (Université d'Auvergne).
- 2nd Scientific Conference on November 26th and 27th, 2004 in Paris - "Trade, Aid, FDI and International Migration" (program). Participants : Marcel Fafchamps (University of Oxford), Said El Hamine (MCT), Albert Zeufack (World Bank), Dierk Herzer and Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. (Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research), Arnab Basu (College of William and Mary), Nancy H. Chau (University of Cornell), Ulrike Grote (ZEF), Cédric Duprez and Jean-Marie Baland (University of Namur), Mohamed A. Marouani (DIAL, ERF & Paris-Dauphine University), Eliana La Ferrara (IGIER), Massimo Guidolin (University of Virginia), Natalia Dinello (Global Development Network), Denis Cogneau (DIAL), Jean-David Naudet (AfD), Stijn Claessens and Geoffrey Underhill (University of Amsterdam), Nauro F. Campos and Yuko Kinoshita (University of Michigan and CEPR), Eleni Kaditi and Johan F.M. Swinnen (Catholic University of Leuven), Jean-Paul Azam (University of Toulouse), Flore Gubert (DIAL, IRD, Paris).
- 3rd Scientific Conference on December 12th and 13th, 2005 in Paris (program). Participants : Gani Aldashev (University of Namur), Thierry Verdier (PSE), Jean-Louis Arcand (CERDI-CNRS), Emmanuelle Auriol (University of Toulouse), Michael Warlters (World Bank), Jean-Marie Baland (University of Namur), Stefan Dercon (University of Oxford), Nathalie Francken (University of Leuven), Bart Minten (Cornell University), Johan F.M. Swinnen (University of Leuven), Stephan Klasen (University of Göttingen), Katharina Michaelowa (Hamburg Institute of International Economics), Fabrice Murtin (CREST-INSEE), Christian Morrisson, Ola Olsson (University of Göteborg), Sharada Srinivasan (IISC), Arjun S. Bedi (ISS).
4th Scientific Conference on November 6th and 7th, 2006 in Paris (program). Participants : Denis Cogneau (DIAL),
Imran Rasul (University College of London), Ben Olken (Harvard
University), Feijen Erik (World Bank), Emmanuelle Auriol (Toulouse
University), Nancy Qian (Brown University), Eric Verhoogen (Columbia
University), Martina Bjorkman (Bocconi University), Rocco Macchiavello
(Nuffield College – Oxford University), Guy Michaels (London School of
- 5th Scientific Conference on December 3rd and 4th, 2007 in Paris
6th Scientific Conference on November 13th and 14th, 2008 in Paris (papers)
- 8th Scientific Conference on November 29-30, 2010 in Paris. (program - papers)
- 9th Scientific Conference on March 27-28, 2012 in Paris. (program - papers)
EUDN PhD Seminar
- 1st PhD Seminar in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2nd PhD Seminar in Den Haag, The Netherlands.
- 3rd PhD Seminar in Maastricht, The Netherlands.
- 4th PhD Seminar in Namur, Belgium.
- 5th PhD Seminar in Paris, France.
- 6th PhD Seminar in Göttingen, Germany. October 17-18, 2008.
- 7th PhD Seminar in Oxford, UK. March 21-22, 2009.
- 8th PhD Seminar in Örebro, Sweden. Aug 30 - Sept 01, 2009.
- 9th PhD Seminar at CERDI, France. June 24-25, 2010.
- 10th PhD Seminar at Tinbergen Institute (program - papers) , The Netherlands. July 7-8, 2011.
Workshop for doctoral students in development economics
- 1st Workshop on October 19th and 20th, 2001 in Bonn, Germany (Workshop agenda).
- 2nd Workshop on October 18th and 19th, 2002 in Bonn, Germany (Workshop agenda).
- 3rd Workshop on November 7th and 8th, 2003 in Bonn, Germany (Workshop agenda).
- 4th Workshop on June 18th and 19th, 2004 in Bonn, Germany (Workshop agenda).
- 5th Workshop on May 26th and 27th, 2006 in Bonn, Germany (Workshop agenda).
- July 1-6th, 2007: The 2nd Summer School on Development : Inequality, Growth and Human Development, in Civita Castellana (Viterbo), Italy.